Thursday, September 22, 2011

Welcome Letter from New Muslim Chaplain

In the name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
and may God's peace and blessings be upon the Prophet Muhammad, his family, and companions

Assalamu 'alaykum everyone!

My name is Amjad Tarsin and I am your new Muslim Chaplain for this year. I hope that everyone had a great Ramadan and Summer, and that the school year is off to an amazing start! I would also like to especially welcome new freshman to Fairfield. I am sure you will have a very formative time over the next four years, God willing. For most people, college brings about some of the most memorable experiences in one's life.

Allah says in the Qur'an: "The believers, both men and women, support each other; they order what is right and forbid what is wrong; they keep up the prayer and pay the prescribed alms; they obey God and His Messenger. God will give His mercy to such people: God is Almighty and Wise." (9:71).

And the Prophet Muhammad (peace and mercy be upon him) said,"The likeness of the believers in their love, mercy, and compassion is like that of a body. When one part of the body complains, the rest of the body reacts with sleeplessness and fever." [Bukhari & Muslim].

College is a wonderful journey (most of the time!) of growth, discovery, and challenges - and one of the things that successfully gets you through it all is good company. One of the goals of the Muslim Students' Association and the Muslim Chaplain is to be able to provide the support, mutual love, mercy, and compassion to Muslim students on campus. Whether you are interested in taking an active role in the MSA or not, I nevertheless encourage you to take advantage of the friendship and good company it has to offer.

I would also like to let any students know that as the Muslim Chaplain here, I am available for you, if needed, so please don't hesitate to contact me. If ever you feel the need to share something with me - whether you are having educational, personal, or spiritual struggles - I am here for you.

I wish you all a wonderful year ahead, and pray that Allah blesses you all with learning, growth, and wisdom.



Wassalamu 'alaykum (Peace be upon you all),
Amjad Tarsin
Muslim Chaplain

No comments:

Post a Comment